Monday 9 February 2015

Is it wrong that I don't want an interchangeable needle set?

Interchangeable needle sets are popular amongst knitters, and it is easy to see why.  If you can afford the initial investment, you have (depending upon the set) around 40 pairs of circular needles at your permanent disposal.  It is less expensive than buying each pair separately, and you don't have to worry about having the right size to start a project -- knitters love instant gratification. The wait to cast-on until obtaining the right size needles in one's preferred material and brand requires too much patience for most knitters.

Not to mention that interchangeable sets come neatly packaged in cute little cases.  Corralling circs in different lengths and needle sizes is challenging, with some knitters resorting to binders or accordian-style files.  The neat and compact interchangeables warm my OCD heart.  In fact, I just helped a friend choose which set to purchase for herself and adored the green silk case for the set she chose, as well as the gold join.  Alas, the needles themselves were bamboo, which is a deal breaker for me.  But the Knitter's Pride Dreamz set she considered was tempting, albeit with an ugly cheap case and silver join.  The Addis were too expensive to be serious contenders, and the case looks like a feminine hygiene product but, wow, imagine a whole set of Addis at one's fingertips.  Addis were the only circs I would use until the Knitter's Pride Dreamz came out.  Now, I can't justify the additional $7/pair for the Addis when the Knitter's Pride work equally well and the warm birch feels better than cool metal in my hands.

But I won't be getting a set of Knitter's Pride interchangeables, and not just because of the hideous case.  I just don't trust interchangeables.  I fear the join won't be smooth, and that it won't hold.  I don't like the idea of having to tighten it with a key, nor am I keen on having all those separate parts - keys and cords and tips.  I don't care if I have to purchase 4 pairs of size 7 circs so I can get 4 different cord lengths for different projects.  I don't even mind that I have to purchase a 3rd pair of size 8, 16" circs because the first two pairs I own are in WIPs/UFOs.  Expensive and impractical as it may be, I just want my circs to be solid, stable, and unchanging, as so few things in life are.

No comments:

Post a Comment